The Government is spending over £450 million on improving physical education and sport in primary schools over the 3 academic years 2013 to 2016.
Schools can choose how they use the funding, for example to:
- hire specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work with primary teachers during PE lessons
- support and involve the least active children by running after-school sports clubs and holiday clubs
- provide resources and training courses in PE and sport for teachers
- run sport competitions or increase pupils’ participation in school games
- run sports activities with other schools
Since September 2013, schools must report on PE and sport provision and on how schools spend their additional funding including information on the website and details of how the school plans to spend their PE and sport grant. Schools must also include detail about the impact this funding has on pupils’ PE and sport participation and attainment.